Day Two Recap from the NAIA National Office before Opening Round Championship play starts today! #RoadToClermont
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – There are 20 teams still standing as Day 2 of the 2017 NAIA Softball National Championship Opening Round wrapped up. The four-team, double-elimination event from 10 different sites finishes Wednesday with the championship match and “if necessary” game at each location. Below are some Day 2 highlights.
• Forty teams began Opening Round action yesterday and now there are 20 teams still standing. One of the biggest surprises included No. 1 seeds Brenau (Ga.), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.), Morningside (Iowa) and William Carey (Miss.) getting eliminated today.
• No. 4 seeds Ottawa (Kan.) and Indiana Wesleyan are a perfect 2-0 in their respective Opening Round brackets. The Braves advance to the Sioux City Bracket championship game tomorrow after they took down No. 2 Reinhardt (Ga.), 8-2. Indiana Wesleyan survived, 10-7, over No. 2 Campbellsville (Ky.) and will appear in the Bowling Green Bracket championship game Wednesday. Both are the only undefeated No. 4 seeds remaining.
• Ottawa and Indiana Wesleyan are looking to join Webber International (Fla.) from last year as the only No. 4 seeds to win an Opening Round Bracket.
• Defending national champion Oklahoma City improved to 63-1 on the year after an 8-0, run-ruled victory over No. 3 Bellevue (Neb.) in the Oklahoma City Bracket. The Stars have out-scored their opponents by a 24-0 edge in their last three games and will face No. 2 Simpson (Calif.) in the championship game tomorrow. Oklahoma City is looking for its fourth Opening Round title in the last five years.
• Thirteen programs are vying for their first-ever Opening Round championship tomorrow: Columbia (Mo.), Corban (Ore.), Davenport (Mich.), Georgia Gwinnett, Indiana Wesleyan, Madonna (Mich.), Marian (Ind.), Ottawa, Rio Grande (Ohio), Science & Arts (Okla.), Southern Oregon, St. Francis (Ill.) and Warner (Fla.).
• Today, the hosts went 6-9 to bring the host record this year to 13-12. The all-time Opening Round hosts record now stands at 111-54.
• Since the opening round format began in 2013, the top seed has been the champion in 27-of-40 events. The No. 2 seed has won nine Opening Rounds, while No. 3 College of Idaho (in 2014), No. 3 Dickinson State (N.D.) (in 2015) and No. 3 Williams Baptist (Ark.) (2016) are the only No. 3 seeds to win their events. A No. 4 seed won their bracket for the first time in 2016 with Webber International (Fla.) winning the Reinhardt (Ga.) Bracket with a record of 3-0.
• The official 10-team World Series bracket will be announced late on Wednesday on NAIA.org after all Opening Rounds have been completed. The World Series is scheduled for May 26 – June 1 in Clermont, Fla., at the Legends Way Ball Fields. PFX Athletics is hosting for the first time. For ticket information, click here.
• For more information on the 2017 NAIA Softball National Championship, click here. Follow along with live updates on the NAIA social media accounts on Twitter (@NAIA), Facebook (@PlayNAIA) and Instagram (@playnaia) using #NAIASoftball.
PFX Athletics is a non-profit organization dedicated to opening the doors of opportunity for women and girls through sport. Since 1996, we have focused on advancement of women and girls through the sport of fastpitch softball. Our home is at Legends Way Ballfields at the National Training Center in Clermont, Florida.